Orange and Poppy Seed Cake
(Will keep refrigerated in airtight container for three days or freeze un-iced for 3 months.)
Prep. Time: 40 mins
Cooking Time: 55mins
2/3 cup milk, warm
¼ cup poppy seeds
1 large orange
250 g unsalted butter
1 ½ cups caster sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
3 cups self raising flour
250g cream cheese
¾ cup icing sugar, sifted
Shredded rind of 1 orange – optional
- Preheat oven to moderate 180°C. Grease and line base and sides of 23cm square cake tin. Combine milk and poppy seeds in jug and stand for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place whole orange in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes.
- Place orange in bowl of iced water for 5 mins.
- Drain. Cut orange into eighths and remove seeds (do not peel).
- Place orange, butter and sugar in a food processor and process for about one minute, until almost smooth. Add eggs and process a further 30 seconds.
- Transfer mixture to large mixing bowl and add sifted flour and milk mixture. Stir until just combined.
- Spoon into prepared tin and smooth surface. Bake for 50 minutes or until skewer comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake.
- Leave cake in tin 5 mins before turning onto wire rack.